Thursday 10 March 2016

Design first, sketch later

When you think of a fashion designer, an image that usually comes to mind is of a well dressed person sketching beautiful illustrations of their collections at a posh drafting table. At least that is the image that used to pop into my head when I thought of the term.

Upon entering the world of fashion design 6 years ago, I quickly discovered that my design process does not normally start with a sketch. I have learned that it is much easier to build things in my head rather then put it into detail on paper. This surprises me because I  grew up with a pencil and pad of paper grafted to my hands, I loved to draw so much!

So why am I not excited to draw it out first? And even if I do some sketches, why don't I feel confident to share them ahead of time? Well here are a few reasons why!

1. Fabricville may not have the supplies I need, or even worse, not even exist on the internet. If I am making up fantastical creations in my head, I need to know what I have to work with first. I still haven't completely learned from this. For example, the line I am working on right now, I wanted black chain for some garments I am making. I even sketched it that way, and not only could I not find it locally, but I had to settle for 'gunmetal'. Black chain doesn't exist apparently! (Though I know it does, but I can't find it!)

 2. I need to trouble shoot and know my fabrics before I can decide what can be done with it. I can't sketch fabric if I don't know its limits.

3. I change my mind waaaaay too much! I have it sketched out one way, but I will 9/10 end up doing a variation of what has been sketched in the first place.




The above sketch was mandatory so I could show the organizers of the NBCCD fashion show what I will be presenting on the runway in April. Since I sent them this sketch late January, details of the 1st,4th and 5th looks have already developed into something a bit different.


 4. Following up #3, I don't like to commit because it can lead to disappointment. I let the process weave out what is supposed to be! This keeps things a lot less stressful and I am not as hard on myself if my original thought doesn't work out.

  I will share a final sketch of the above when the products are all finished, and I am happy to say the line is about 60% finished! I struggled to even share those sketches because some of them feel inaccurate to me, but that is part of my own  process of fashion design.

Kayleigh Saad
President - Fredericton Fashion Council

Check out updates on my designs at
https://www.facebook.com/lunarofferings/