Monday 2 May 2016

NBCCD Annual Fashion Show: Alumni Coverage



     Oh my friends are we ever in for a treat today! On Saturday April 16th I had the honour of attending the 18th Annual NBCCD Fashion Show: Quintessential, if you missed it fret not our pals at the Fredericton Fashion Council have got you covered.


In true Fashionista style I capitalize on any opportunity to dress up! So with this being a NBCCD event I thought what would be more fitting than wearing a garment I designed, drafted a pattern, and sewed myself  I sported a midi length floral print handkerchief hem skirt with black tights, a black turtle neck from Penningtons, statement necklace from Samuel and Co, and black stiletto peep toe booties with rosette detail on the top.

This year was a raging success with the Convention Center packed full of proud parents, press, and fashion lovers alike. The show was basically broken down into three sections starting with some former students who have been working tirelessly on a new line to showcase. Then we saw the First Year Challenge which was tulle themed this year! And we finished with this year’s graduates and their lines.

So who are these fabulous local designers who came back to show us their breathtaking original designs? Here they are in the order of which they came down the runway:

Sherry Kinnear graduated in 2007 “Ghosts of Costumes Past”
Laura McFarlane graduated in 2014 “Fashion in Action”
Rebecca Roundell & Lise Robichaud both graduates from the class of 2011 collaborated to bring us “Virtuosew”
Sherry MacFarlane a graduate from 2011 “Primavera”
And last but certainly not least Kayleigh Saad whom also graduated in 2011 presented her collection “Lunar Offerings”

The alumni certainly knew how to kick off a show. The colors and textures reigned supreme as their creations were expertly modelled down the runway. It was impossible to choose just one piece that I wanted from each line. Every collection had distinct personality and direction. I was endlessly impressed with the craftsmanship and dedication of every single designer. I snapped as many photos as I could to share these one of a kind creations with all of you!




Sherry Kinnear’s line “Ghosts of Costumes Past” had some beautifully constructed colonial style garments with neutral colors and long hemlines. Reminiscent of the dresses you would see being worn at Kings Landing the craftsmanship and detail are staggering. Sitting in the audience and seeing her line come down the runway felt like a trip back in time.




Laura McFarlane’s “Fashion in Action” had a modern spin on classic styles with daring combinations of color, texture, and style. I have to say that yellow dress: “WHY AM I NOT WEARING IT RIGHT NOW? “- it is SO fun and such a great combination of colors. Also it’s hard to see in the photos but the red dress at the end of the show was absolutely stunning the fabric, full skirt, and yellow jacket- all perfection.




Rebecca Roundell & Lise Robichaud both graduates from the class of 2011 teamed up to bring us “Virtuosew” a quirky street style line for the true adventurers among us. The contrast of flowy fabrics and structured pieces balanced very well, but I must say I was most intrigued by their use of light fabrics to make beautiful leg warmer style pieces and stirrup detail over top of the models shoes. As a leg warmer lover I have to admit I have a serious soft spot for this line. I feel any garment that makes me think is a special one- excellent work ladies!





Sherry MacFarlane’s “Primavera” was stacked with beautiful floral patterns, and well constructed garments for everyday wear, and by that I mean hopefully my everyday wear because I am obsessed with her first floral number! Her fabric and color choices were well thought out and worked so well together, Sherry is a lady who knows her stuff! Seeing her line come down the runway was like being at Fashion Week. Understated glam, and even a menswear piece in her show!




Kayleigh Saad’s “Lunar Offerings” I must say it was quite fitting for Kayleigh’s line to come down the runway last, because it brought the house down. Kayleigh mentioned on social media that this line was inspired by the different phases of the moon, and I couldn’t think of a better way to show it. Her colors and fabric choices were perfection. Every model looked as though that garment was made especially for them. The fit, draping, and textures of every garment were on point. My pictures do not do it justice. The one garment that really stood out to me was the immense work and detail that went into the body chain harness pictured above- everything about this look screams high fashion, elegance, and grace.






After the alumni was the First Year Challenge! This is a challenge where the first years design and construct one garment with a specific theme in mind, and this year’s theme was tulle. There were some very cool concepts! We saw a few dresses, one menswear garment, and some contemporary silhouettes. One of my favorite parts of attending this event every year is that the winner of the challenge is always determined by vote of the audience!



So after much anticipation we had our winner Michaela Bowmaster! Her dress was a vision in green with a full midi skirt, amazing layered detail, and sweetheart neckline. I have to admit this one was my vote! Beautifully constructed and well executed it would be a staple in anyone’s closet.  Above is her winning garment!


I’d like to take the opportunity to say a special thank you to all of the designers, as a lover of all things fashion it was truly an honor to see each and every one of your creations coming to life on the runway. Thank you for sharing your amazing creative vision and passion with all of us.

**Contact me! I’d love to hear from you for outfit submissions or any questions about my posts E-mail: fredtownfashionista@gmail.com, Facebook: Fredtown Fashionista, Instagram: FredtownFashionista