Wednesday 29 June 2016

International Lolita Day

Lolita is a subculture originating from Japan that is heavily influenced by Rococo, Victorian and Edwardian fashions. Some say it was started as a reaction to the growing trend of exposed skin in modern society. Lots of people love Lolita because it makes them feel elegant and feminine in a modest fashion.

 A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of attending my first Lolita meet up for International Lolita Day. When I was a teenager/early 20s, there were no Lolita groups in Fredericton for me to participate in while I was at the peak of my love for this look. I am glad to see it growing in popularity in smaller cities, though my closet since then has been weeded out of the style a bit, I still found a cute, relevant outfit to wear to the meet! I called it my Bosokozu (biker/gang) Lolita haha



 We met up at the Chess Piece Cafe downtown, and there were only 5 of us, so it was pretty relaxed, and I was able to ask everyone a few questions about Lolita fashion and what has drawn them to this style. There are many different variations to the style and everyone loves something a little bit different!



  


Amanda (above left) Became interested in Lolita fashion in 2009 because she was drawn to the gorgeous textiles and patterns of the big Lolita brand names. From there it became a pass time and form of self expression. Her favorite styles of Lolita are Military, College, and Classic Lolita.

Emily (above center) discovered Lolita in 2006 through a friend who introduced her to Harajuku fashion. Her favorite styles are Classic Sweet, and Classic Lolita. "It is modern Marie- Antoinette without the beheadings" she says.

Elizabeth (above right) had Lolita pop into her life in 2007 through the love of  all things cute! It is a total lifestyle for her and her favorite styles are Hime-Lolita and Classic Lolita. 


Melysa (not pictured) was introduced to the world of Lolita through her love of Card Captor Sakura (anime) and all of her costumes. She loves every style of Lolita and is a form of self expression for her.

As for myself, I got into Lolita fashion in 2003, when I discovered the Japanese visual kei band Malice Mizer and their vocalist, Mana,who is still my first thought when I think of the term Gothic Lolita. I started to make little lolita bonnets and selling them through forums online!! My favorite styles are Gothic and Sweet Lolita.  Just for fun I decided to put together a few of my Lolita looks from yesteryear! There are some Lolita groups out there with strict outfit guidelines, but I like to have fun with it! 



                                                                     Kayleigh Saad
President - Fredericton Fashion Council
https://www.facebook.com/lunarofferings/